Final Expense Planning
It’s never easy to think about what life would be like for your family after you’re gone.
But planning now can help your loved ones focus on the life you lived, and less on your final expenses.
What is Final Expense Insurance?
Surety’s Final Expense insurance is a type of whole life insurance designed to cover medical bills, funeral expenses and other end of life expenses when you pass. A final expense policy is also known as burial or funeral insurance and is popular with seniors.
Surety Life’s final expense plans have these features:
- Whole life insurance – no expiration if premiums are paid
- Cash value – insured may be able to take out a policy loan
- Fixed premiums as long as they’re paid
- Simplified issue – usually no medical exam is required, just health questions on the application
- Easy application process
- Fast approvals – coverage can often be issued in days
- Affordable rates
What Are The Final Expenses That Need to Be Covered?
The largest single expense may often be your funeral arrangements. Surety’s Plan may also provide cash for other immediate needs such as:
- A funeral, which can include funeral home use, burial or cremation costs, and a ceremony
- Medical bills
- Credit card or other debt
- Mortgage payments
- Money for your spouse to live on
- Probate expenses and other financial matters
How Much Insurance Do I Need?
The average benefit amount of a Final Expense Insurance policy in 2015 was about $14,776. However, everyone’s situation is unique and a good place to start is estimating the cost of a funeral in your area and then add additional benefits you would like to have. Important to note that expenses have increased consistently over time.
- The average cost of a funeral in 2019 was $9,135
- Additional fees for cemetery, monument, flowers and obituaries can add thousands more.
- The Social Security Death Benefit only provides a lump sum of $255 for those who qualify.
How Much Does Final Expense Insurance Cost?
The average final expense policy costs between $30-$70 a month and depends on your age, sex, health, amount of coverage, and the life insurance company you choose. If you have adverse health conditions or are over the age of 70, your premium will may be higher and may cost between $70-$120 a month (though it may be less). Younger applicants who are in good health may qualify for rates in the $20-$50 range. Remember, a cheaper rate usually means fewer features and benefits for surviving loved ones. A few extra dollars a month could make a big difference in the support your family receives when you’re gone.
Cost is often the #1 factor people focus on…but it’s not the most important factor! Instead of focusing on how much the policy is going to cost, look at how many expenses will be left behind and how much they’ll cost your family.
Surety’s Final Expense Whole Life Plans:
LEVEL DEATH BENEFIT:
- For ages 0 – 85
- Coverage amounts from $5,000 to $50,000
GRADED DEATH BENEFIT:
- For ages 0 – 85
- Coverage amounts from $5,000 to $25,000
This policy contains a graded benefit that pays out 30% of the death benefit the first year, 70% the second year and the full benefit amount in the third and following years. Graded benefit whole life policies are specific products made available to people who cannot obtain coverage due to adverse health conditions.
- Never increases regardless of changes to your age or health.
- Never decreases regardless of changes to your age or health. Benefits are paid to your beneficiary and are not subject to federal income tax.
- Never to be cancelled because of changes to your age or health as long as premiums are paid.
- Cash values accumulate and can be used for emergencies or other financial needs.
You’ve spent a lifetime taking care of your family. Life insurance can help you continue to care for your family even after you’re gone. With Final Expense from Surety Life, you can apply for a simple and effective plan that meets your personal needs. This final planning solution can help ensure your surviving loved ones aren’t financially burdened by your death.
The last thing you want loved ones to say when planning your final arrangements is, “We can’t afford this.”
View frequently asked questions or complete the form below.
Call Surety Life & Casualty at 1-800-232-3979, or complete the form below and you will be contacted as soon as possible.